PHILADELPHIA PA – Mayor Jim Kenney released the following statement on the new travel ban President Trump’s administration issued today.
“I am still greatly concerned that this ban appears to be solely motivated by anti-Muslim sentiment and not by any evidence that this policy will strengthen our national security. While we are still reviewing all the implications of the ban, I believe that this new iteration weakens Philadelphia’s public safety and economic health. This ban instills unnecessary fear in our immigrant populations, who, statistically, are less likely to commit violent crime. If immigrants are too afraid to cooperate with police, then it becomes that much harder for our officers to solve the violent crimes Philadelphians face on a daily basis. Furthermore, this ban sends a harmful message to the immigrants who have helped our economy grow, and the visitors we wish to welcome to our City. At least one conference has already cited this ban as a reason to go abroad rather than come to Philadelphia.”
- Philly's Mayor Jim Kenney FY18 Budget, Capital Plan and Five Year Plan
- Philadelphia's Mayor Kenney's - Second Budget Address
- Philadelphia Nominations for the Mayor’s Day of Service Awards
- Mayor Kenney Delivers Second Chamber of Commerce Address
- Mayor Jim Kenney: Statement on Release of Detainees from PHL Airport