Philadelphia, PA - No matter how you slice it, grilled cheese sandwiches have been a staple in American households, college dorm rooms and cozy diners since the first bowl of tomato soup felt lonely.
There is absolutely nothing quite like an ooey-gooey grilled cheese sandwich. That's why on April 12th - National Grilled Cheese Day, the following Philly restaurants and bars will offer up Philly's best-grilled cheese sandwiches along with delicious sides, holding absolutely nothing back when it comes to melted, cheesy deliciousness and decadence.
- Mighty Melt at The Bourse, the creative grilled cheese sandwich shop situated in Old City’s Historic Food Hall, is perhaps the ideal spot to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day. On April 12, guests can easily enjoy any delicious grilled cheese with a Quaker City Shrub for $12. With artisan breads from Mighty Bread Co. and fresh cheese, sandwich options include Happy Together with Amish cheddar, hot honey, and sourdough ($7); the Sure Shot along with brie, prosciutto, marmalade, arugula, and toasted sesame sourdough ($11); and the over the top Brick House with Taleggio, braised beef, roasted mushrooms, onion jam, and rosemary peppercorn sourdough ($11). This smorgasbord of cheesy goodness is the perfect one-stop shop for all things grilled cheese. 111 S. Independence Mall | https://theboursephilly.com
- Joe’s Steaks + Soda Shop, the cheesesteak favorite and recent viral sensation in Fishtown and Torresdale, also grills up a mean Cheese Fry Grilled Cheese ($6). The awesome combo for French fry and cheese lovers, this fry-stuffed, loaded up sandwich is prepared with two thick slices of buttered and browned Texas toast, and filled with French fries, melted American cheese, and cheese whiz. 1 W Girard Ave. | 215-423-5637 | 6030 Torresdale Ave. | 215-535-9405 | https://www.joessteaks.com
- CO-OP Restaurant and Lounge, the vibrant corner restaurant and bar in University City, has outdone themselves with an Over the Top Grilled Cheese, boasting a parmesan crusted brioche, summer truffle, Gruyere, and Fontina with Truffled-Parmesan Fries on the side. For $20, cheese lovers can dig into this truffle-filled, melty goodness for lunch on National Grilled Cheese Day. 20 South 33rd Street | 215-398-1874 | https://www.coopphilly.com
- MilkBoy Philly, situated on the corner of Chestnut St. and 11th, has gone for a classic approach with a bacon twist, offering their Grilled Cheese and Cup O’ Soup, made with bacon jam, sourdough bread, and, of course, tomato soup on the side. This classic pair is available for $10 all day, every day for grilled cheese lovers.
- MilkBoy South Street, situated on the bustling intersection of South St. and 4th, has melted together cheesy favorites in their Grilled Cheese and Soup combo, with slices of jack, cheddar, and American cheese and bacon jam between sourdough bread, all paired with tasty tomato soup. This delicious combo is available for $10 for hungry South Street visitors. 1100 Chestnut St | 215-925-6455 | 401 South St. | 215-925-6455 | milkboyphilly.com
- Royal Boucherie, Old City’s American brasserie from award-winning Executive Chef Nicholas Elmi, is delivering their Mortadella Grilled Cheese ($15) with Calabrian aioli, Raclette, and sourdough bread and a side of French fries to the table for lunch. Guest can easily pair their grilled cheese with a $2 martini or cocktail as part of the Martini Lunch Special, a weekday bargain where guests can enjoy a $2 martini or cocktail with the purchase of an entrée. 52 South 2nd St |267-606-6313 | www.royalboucherie.com
- Baker Street Bread Company, bakery, and café offering up fresh bread, breakfasts, and lunches, has put together the Ultimate Grilled Cheese ($8.75) with Fontina, tomato, home-made sourdough bread, and either pesto or Dijon with upgrades of avocado, bacon or ham for $2 more. This melt is offered at their Bakery Café in Chestnut Hill for lunchtime every single day of the week. 8009 Germantown Avenue | 267-336-7410 | https://www.bakerstreetbread.com
* While National Grilled Cheese Day is a great excuse to stop into Mighty Melt at The Bourse this Friday to enjoy their deal of the day, guests can now also enjoy this deal every Monday, launching on April 15, where any canned beverage and a sandwich can be purchase together for just $12 all day. Guests can pair their mouth-watering grilled cheese with a crisp Quaker City Shrub to cut through the cheesy deliciousness with bright, tart, fruity flavors. This perfect match is both decadent and refreshin
Borden Cheese Fun Tips and Tricks:
Cheese, If You Please - As the name suggests, cheese is the star of the show for this familiar favorite. American Singles are always a crowd pleaser, but for an even meltier grilled cheese you can opt for shredded cheese for a more even melt and that Instagram-worthy cheese pull. The new line of Thick Cut Shreds from Borden® Cheese were dreamt up with melting in mind, and add the perfect layer of creamy coverage to any sandwich.
Pack it with Protein - Looking for a more grown up take? Add protein and fresh veggies to your sandwich for a filling and balanced option that still tastes like mom used to make. With unlimited possibilities like this Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese or Turkey Bacon & Tomato Grilled Cheese, there’s no excuse not to eat a grilled cheese on April 12.
Better without Butter? - The best part about the grilled cheese sandwich is its ability to be easily tweaked to your own taste, from mixing different cheese and flavors to switching up the bread. But have you ever considered ditching the butter? For years, some have sworn by frying their sandwiches in mayonnaise, not butter, to achieve that perfectly crispy, even cook, and slightly tangy flavor boost. If Martha Stewart does it, you know it has to be good!
Philly's Grilled Cheese Sandwich Guide - The grilled cheese sandwich, once considered so plain it was relegated to kids’ menus, has now gained grown-up favor and flavor among specialty food vendors, lunch spots and esteemed eateries in and around Philadelphia.
Strawberry Chocolate Grilled Cheese -The general idea of a grilled cheese sandwich is enough to make a calm person's heart flutter.So when we came cross a strawberry chocolate grilled cheese sandwich, we squealed. Very loudly. We may have even whispered the words, "oh Ya."