Philadelphia, PA - Founded in 1965, the Lancaster Museum of Art has been one of the leading sources of culture in the area. Its mission is to foster artistic expression, education, and access to visual arts in the Antelope Valley. The museum features rotating exhibitions of works in several different media, and its permanent collection includes local and international artists. It also offers workshops and panel discussions.
The Lancaster Museum of Art
The Lancaster Museum of Art is housed in an 1845 Greek Revival mansion. The building was originally home to wealthy citizen Clement Grubb. He was a patron of 19th-century regional artists. The Lancaster Museum of Art was initially called the Lancaster Museum and Art Gallery. After relocating to a new building in 2010, the Lancaster Museum of Art and History was renamed.
The Lancaster Museum of Art and History celebrates the richness of the Antelope Valley. It features a permanent collection of international and local art and serves as a cultural hub for the area.
Its mission is to encourage understanding of the visual arts through exhibitions, educational programs, and workshops. Its programs include panel discussions and workshops for adults and children. It also provides opportunities to learn about contemporary art, local artists, and regional artists.
The Lancaster Museum of Art & History also features a lantern room, floor-to-ceiling windows, and silver-grey wood floors. Its ceiling features glass orbs. Its collection of works is diverse, including works by artists young and old.
Its permanent collection includes works by Charles Demuth, a native of Lancaster County. The museum also features the work of local artist Freiman Stoltzfus, inspired by architecture and music.
In 2011, Andi Campognone joined the museum's leadership team. She helped guide the museum's vision and helped develop the new site.