Philadelphia, PA - Rittenhouse Square and Center City West, From eco-friendly to certified orgamic coffee. Philly's Indie coffee scene offers something for everyone from micro-batch roasted beans to ltalian espresso done right, check out these Center City West and Rittenhouse Java joints.
- Elixr Coffee – The eco-friendly reclaimed wood paneling and cool marble countertops are only a backdrop for Elixr’s main event:superb Synesso Hydra-brewed espresso. The pour-over menu always features a nice mix of house-roasted options.Elixr’s flagship is near Rittenhouse Square; the team also operates locations at Midtown Village’s Double Knot (see below) and inside University City’s Institute of Contemporary Art, 118 S. 36th Street.207 S. Sydenham Street, (239) 404-1730, elixrcoffee.com
- Good Karma Café – Fair-trade and certified organic coffee furnish the foundation at all three Good Karmas, and owner David Arrell takes his philosophy to an even higher level with green construction and corn-based plastics. 331 S. 22nd Street, (215) 546-1479; 928 Pine Street, (267) 519-8860; 2319 Walnut Street, (267) 239-2068, thegoodkarmacafe.com
- Gran Caffe L’Aquila – Espresso the pristine way Italians intended it thrives here, with beans roasted by Michele Morelli, an Italian coffee celebrity. The pampered, two-story setting invites patrons to sit with a ristretto or turco with a pastry and enjoy a newspaper. 1716 Chestnut Street, (215) 568-5600, grancaffelaquila.com
- Joe – A New York roaster with a solid presence in Philly, Joe operates two locations—one in Rittenhouse Square, the other in University City. Both serve the House Selection, The Waverly espresso and other delicious blended and single-origin options, and the University City location hosts a series of barista classes. 1845 Walnut Street, (215) 278-2454; 3200 Chestnut Street, (215) 240-4577, joenewyork.com
- Peddler Coffee – Logan Square’s beverage boîte specializes in single origin, micro-batch roasted beans. Customers can opt for espresso, filter and Chemex drinks. 2100 Spring Street, peddlercoffee.com