Philadelphia, PA - Mac and cheese, mac n cheese or macaroni and cheese, is a popular side-dish made with cooked macaroni pasta in a cheese sauce, typically Cheddar or Smoked Gouda.
This kid-friendly dish is very popular, particularly with the little ones, from creamy mac and cheese to baked macaroni and cheese. In the United States, it's the top-rated cheese recipe, and in Philadelphia, it's so popular that Mat Mart food truck and storefront, specialize exclusively on Mac and Cheese bowls.
Best Places for Mac & Cheese in Philadelphia
- Mac Mart - Mac 'n' cheese is what's on the menu at this fast-casual spot with comfort-inspired garnishes. Must-Try: Mac Mart's specialization is a non-baked, creamy seven-cheese mac capped off with panko and a potato-chip garnish. 104 S 18th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Ms. Tootsie’s Soul Food Café - This bi-level eatery & lounge is famous for soul food classics, as well as their take-out café. The restaurant commits itself to genuine southern-inspired cuisine and has become known for its unique recipes handed down from generations. Must-Try: Cheesy Mac and Cheese with Lobster. 1312 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Flannel – Having some of the best Mac ‘n’ Cheese around the city, this cozy eatery offers a rustic look with picnic tables amidst grass walls as well as a Kentucky race track backdrop. Must-Try: Mac Daddy - 3 thick slices of mac n cheese loaf. 1819 E Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148
- Moonshine Philly – This relaxing spot offers up New American fare, in addition to craft brews and a scratch kitchen located in Pennsport, South Philly. Must-Try: Moonshine Mac and Cheese - cheddar mac and cheese with a parmesan crust. 1825 E Moyamensing Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148
- The Twisted Tail – This off South Street spot is providing cocktails, and barbecue, along with other great Southern American fares, and a live blues night. Situated in Philadelphia’s Historic Society Hill, The Twisted Tail also boasts an assorted mix of American Whiskeys. Must-Try: Crawfish Mac & Cheese with Toasted Breadcrumbs. 509 S 2nd St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Rex 1516 - Southern-inspired dishes and cocktails are the specialties at this rustic restaurant featuring a reclaimed timber decor. Must-Try: Shells and Cheese with pulled pork, sharp cheddar, and jalapeno bread crumbs. 1516 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19146
- Good Dog Bar – This trendy bar offers up a great craft beer selection and a signature blue-cheese burger, as well as other gastro-pub fares. Must-Try: Creamy Mac and Cheese - Colby, swiss, cheddar, buttered breadcrumbs. 224 S 15th St, Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Continental Mid-town – an excellent place for tapas-style dishes and martinis great for sharing at this bi-level space with a trendy rooftop-deck. Regardless of whether you're in the lounge or enjoying the nightlife, you can't go wrong at this popular nightspot. Must-Try: Lobster Mac n’ Cheese - orzo pasta, gruyère & fontina. Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Written By: Philly Bite Magazines Staff
Philadelphia Best Of Series consists of round-ups of the best places to find great food, entertainment, and more in Philly. Know of other great mac and cheese restaurants or food trucks contact us and let us know on social media #PhillyBite
Best Philadelphia Mac and Cheese
Other Articles About Mexican Food in Philadelphia
Tacos in Philadelphia - Tacos are a time-honored Mexican dish comprised of corn, wheat, or flour tortilla with a variety of fillings. Philadelphia has several great taco restaurants from Mexican eateries offering up this time-honored traditional fare to informal countertop joints.
Fajitas in Philadelphia - The Fajita is a Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine consisting of grilled meats, usually served as a taco on a flour or corn tortilla. In Philadelphia, the Fajita can be found at popular restaurants to traditional Mexican joints.
Steakhouses in Philadelphia - The best steakhouse, steak house, or chophouse is a restaurant that specializes in great steaks and chops, and in Philadelphia, finding a great steakhouse is not as hard as you might think.