Philadelphia, PA - This month, Lead Bartender Bohdan “Bo” Darway will premier his new Bar Menu at SOUTH at 600 North Broad Street. The new menu will be on lively display with several liquor-focused educational events in the coming weeks, and includes fan-favorite dishes and drinks alongside new offerings.
Darway, winner of the local Ole Smoky “Masters of the Moonshine” competition, will travel to New Orleans to represent SOUTH in the semifinals. He put together a new selection of cocktails for the bar showcasing his expertise:
· The Cobbler, bourbon with sherry, sugar and season fruit, shaken and poured over crushed ice, based on a recipe thought to have originated in the 1820s or 30s
· Fresh to Death, Siembra Azul tequila with cucumber water, pink peppercorn syrup, lime juice and a celery salt rim
· A signature Bourbon Flight, featuring Basil Hayden’s, Maker’s 46 and Knob Creek Rye, poured with Mountain Valley Spring Water
New, share-able bar bites will include:
· Assorted Lil’ Po’Boys, including Florida grouper, oyster and redeye barbecue pork, with remoulade, lettuce, tomato and “Angry Mama” chips seasoned with dried chili from the kitchen’s house-made hot sauce
· Pickles from the Wall, drawn from the restaurant’s extensive, critically acclaimed menu of house-cured pickles and literally pulled from jars on display to order, served with cow pea hummus and benne / rye crackers
· Favorites from the opening menu, such as Hushpuppies, Boudin Croquettes, Crawfish Fritters and the house signature Burger, will also remain on the new menu
Upcoming happenings and cocktail events will include:
· SOUTH will debut a custom-crafted Mobile Bar, transporting the bar directly into the jazz parlor
o Created by Christopher James Woodworking, the Mobile Bar will be used for cocktail service, private tastings and catered gatherings
· On May 17, Darway will host his first “Art of the Cocktail” tasting, bringing his wealth of experience at such bars as The Corner and The Ranstead Room, as well as his training under the late Sasha Petraske, to bear in a second, ongoing monthly series. Tickets are $35 per person, and include cocktail samples and passed hors d’oeuvres, plus the master class with Darway, from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m.
· Guest Whiskey Sommelier Rachel Ewing, a Scotch expert who regularly hosts tastings and trainings at the country’s top whiskey bars, will host an upcoming Women in Whiskey event
o These monthly gatherings have fast become one of SOUTH’s signature events, and will continue with Ewing at the helm each month
About SOUTH…Owned by celebrated restauranteur Robert Bynum, SOUTH earned immediate critical acclaim when it debuted in late 2015. Philadelphia magazine’s Jason Sheehan wrote that, “It’s a restaurant on the verge of greatness – of defining its place in the grand tradition – and I can’t wait to see what it does next.” SOUTH also earned a place on the magazine’s updated “50 Best Restaurants” list. In his warmly positive review, The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Craig LaBan wrote that “the Bynums have shown a new level of culinary ambition with Martin’s approach to new Southern cooking…he draws largely cliché-free inspiration from the heirloom ingredients and modern notions that are energizing Southern kitchens from New Orleans to Charleston and beyond.” In addition to exceptional southern cooking, the restaurant is known for their live jazz performances six nights a week; no other restauranteur in Philadelphia has done more to foster the city’s food-and-music scene.