As the Thanksgiving season rapidly approaches, everyone knows you can’t have turkey without a side of cranberry sauce! This year, instead of buying the usual canned and overly processed cranberry jelly, why not make it yourself with fresh and delicious ingredients giving the cranberry sauce you grew up eating a whole new twist.
- 1 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
- 1 6 oz container of fresh blackberries
- 1 small or medium golden delicious apple diced
- 1/2 cup of cranberry flavored wine
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh squeeze lemon juice
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, combine cranberries, blackberries, and diced apple.
- Stir occasionally until about half of the cranberries and blackberries have burst being cautious not to burn.
- Mix in flavored wine and brown sugar.
- You may have to crush some of the berries if they don’t burst on their own, but leave some whole.
- Squeeze in lemon juice and mix well.
- Keep over heat until the sauce is thick and chunky, roughly 25 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow cooling in a glass bowl or heating safe container. **Caution** sauce will be very hot.
- Once cranberry sauce has cooled, it should still be thick and chunky.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.