Recipes 101 - Side dishes are a staple of any meal, and the aromatic herbs wafting through your home will be pleasing to all your senses. Of course, using fresh herbs is the best part of making any meal, However, if they are not available to you, there are always the dried herbs available in any store.
If you are using fresh herbs, you will need to remove the leaves from the stems (I save the stems to use later when making broth from scratch) and then have a few of the whole stem, leaves attached, placed aside for presentation of the dish to display when serving; it adds to the “wow” factor for your guests.
1½ pounds of Baby Red Potatoes (rinsed and cut into quarters)
1 ¾ cups Sweet Onion (large slices)
8oz White Mushrooms (sliced)
¼ cup Fresh Rosemary (leaves only)
2 tablespoons Fresh Basil (chopped)
1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme (leaves only)
¾ tablespoon Salt
½ tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Black Truffle Oil
1. Coat your 8 inches by 11-inch glass pan with cooking spray or olive oil to prevent vegetables from sticking to the pan.
2. Rinse and dry the potatoes, then cut off any of the stems that are protruding from them. Cut into 4 parts and place inside the pan.
3. Chop yellow onions into large slices (approximately 2 inches in length, and half an inch in width) and add to the pan.
4. Add in the pre-sliced White Mushrooms
5. Using either a tool to remove the leaves from the stems of the Rosemary and Thyme, or hand-picking them off...remove enough leaves for 1 teaspoon of Thyme, and ¼ cup of Rosemary.
6. Roll the basil leaves into a tight circle and make thin slices until you reach the stem. Place 2 tbsp Basil into the pan.
7. Measure out ¾ tablespoon of freshly ground sea-salt and drizzle over top of the vegetables
8. Measure ½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper and drizzle over the vegetables
9. Toss all ingredients until they are coated with the spices and fresh herbs
10. Drizzle over top of the mixture approximately 2 tablespoons of Black Truffle Oil
11. Toss ingredients until coated with the oil
12. place the pan uncovered in your preheated oven for the following amount of time:
- 400°F 40 minutes
- 425°F 35 minutes
- 450°F 30 minutes
This side dish is a terrific addition to any meal. It will fill your home up with an inviting aroma, peek the interests of family members that might be hiding in their rooms, and make anyone who is within a short distance have an envious hunger. I know that when I created this side dish, it was hard to keep people away from eating it long enough to get the rest of the meal on the table, so I'm sure you will enjoy it too. And as always, I wish you a happy cooking experience.