Philadelphia, PA - This summer, Applegate, the nation’s leading natural and organic meat brand, is taking back grilling season with the Cleaner Wiener. These great tasting hot dogs are made with 4 simple ingredients - beef, water, salt & spices- that don’t take a food science degree to recognize or pronounce.
Applegate’s Chef Jason Clarke has created an original Philly-inspired hot dog recipe. The Philly Applegate Hot Dog with Broccoli Rabe, Sharp Provolone, and Roasted Long Hot Peppers is an ode to the city’s “other sandwich,” the Italian roast pork sandwich. Chef Clarke wanted to spread the love by creating this recipe based on his hometown favorite. Applegate Hot Dog with Broccoli Rabe, Sharp Provolone, and Roasted Long Hot Peppers. Makes 8 Topped Hot Dogs
For Hot Dogs and Broccoli Rabe:
1 pack Applegate Hot Dogs – Applegate Organics® Great Organic Beef Hot Dog or Applegate Naturals® Stadium Dog
1 pack of your Favorite Hot Dog Buns
2 Stalks blanched Broccoli Rabe
2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
For Long Hot Peppers and Sharp Provolone:
4 Long Hot Peppers, roasted whole, then split, stemmed, and seeded
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
8-10 oz. Sharp Provolone, broken into small chunks
- Bring medium pot of water to boil. Add broccoli rabe. Cook about two minutes until bright green.
- Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.
- In a saute pan, add olive oil, add chopped garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe. Cook for an additional two minutes until heated through. Set aside.
- Chop each stalk into 4 pieces.
Roasted Long Hot Peppers and Sharp Provolone
- In a medium bowl, toss long hot peppers with olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Place on baking sheet.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes until soft.
- Remove the stem, seeds, and slice in half. Set aside.
- Cut or break sharp provolone into small chunks.
- Prepare hot dog to your liking. Place on bun.
- Top each hot dog with half of a roasted long hot pepper.
- Add a piece of sautéed broccoli rabe.
- Top each hot dog with chunks of sharp provolone.