The tart, sweet hints of cherry in mike’s Hard Black Cherry Lemonade cut through the smoky richness of this funky, Sonoran-style hot dog. The bold, refreshing flavor of the Hard Black Cherry extinguishes the pleasant and unexpected spice of the pickled jalapeño.
• 8 large beef hot dogs, preferably 2 packs with 4 hot dogs each
• 8 slices of thinly sliced bacon
• 8 fresh top slit hot dog buns
• 4 tablespoons salted butter, room temp
• 1 cup warmed refried beans or baked beans
• 2 firm, ripe roma tomatoes, diced
• 1 small red onion, diced
• 1 cup pickled jalapeños
• 1 recipe zesty mayo, below
• Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Zesty Mayo Ingredients
• 1 cup mayo
• 2 tablespoons hot sauce
• 1 lime, zest and juice
• 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wrap each dog in one slice of bacon evenly. Secure with toothpick at both ends and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up bacon and help it adhere.
2. Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Grill each side of hot dog until bacon is extra crispy but not burnt. It is important to control the heat to ensure hot dog gets properly warmed through and bacon does not burn or under cook. Set aside.
3. For zesty mayo, mix all the ingredients until uniform. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Butter the outsides of the buns and gently griddle them until just golden brown.
5. Layer on the bottom a schmear of warm refried beans, then the bacon wrapped dog, then top with tomatoes, onions, jalapeños and a squiggly drizzle of the zesty mayo. Garnish with some cilantro leaves as serve with your favorite hot sauce.
- BBQ 101: Barbecue Grilling Safety Tips
- Hot Dogs 101: Grilled Boudin Blanc - Chicken Sausage
- BBQ 101: Grilling Tips For The "Hot Dog Days" Of Summer