Philadelphia, PA - The tart, sweet hints of cherry in mike’s Hard Black Cherry Lemonade cut through the smoky richness of this funky, Sonoran-style hot dog. The bold, refreshing flavor of the Hard Black Cherry extinguishes the pleasant and unexpected spice of the pickled jalapeño.
• Eight large beef hot dogs, preferably two packs with four hot dogs each
• Eight slices of thinly sliced bacon
• Eight fresh, top split hot dog buns
• Four tablespoons salted butter, room temp
• 1 cup warmed refried beans or baked beans
• Two firms, ripe Roma tomatoes, diced
• One small red onion, diced
• 1 cup pickled jalapeños
• One recipe zesty mayo, below
• Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Zesty Mayo Ingredients
• 1 cup mayo
• Two tablespoons hot sauce
• One lime, zest, and juice
• One teaspoon granulated garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wrap each dog in one slice of bacon evenly. Secure with a toothpick at both ends and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up bacon and help it adhere.
2. Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Grill each side of the hot dog until bacon is extra crispy but not burnt. It is crucial to control the temperature to ensure the hot dog gets warmed adequately through, and bacon does not burn or undercook. Set aside.
3. For zesty mayo, mix all the ingredients until uniform. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Butter the outsides of the buns and gently griddle them until just golden brown.
5. Layer on the bottom a schmear of warm refried beans, then the bacon-wrapped dog, then top with tomatoes, onions, jalapeños and a squiggly drizzle of the zesty mayo. Garnish with some cilantro leaves as serve with your favorite hot sauce.
- BBQ 101: Barbecue Grilling Safety Tips
- Hot Dogs 101: Grilled Boudin Blanc - Chicken Sausage
- BBQ 101: Grilling Tips For The "Hot Dog Days" Of Summer