Philadelphia, PA - Girls Nite In Online, a Philadelphia-based, is going to celebrate Philadelphia’s women chefs with an online “Philadelphia Restaurant Week,” June 1-5 and Paula Deen, Tori Spelling, and Cyndi Lauper are among the celebrities who are supporting Girls Nite In Online, as a special opportunity for women during this difficult time.
Girls Nite In Online to Honor Local Women Chefs
Featured local chefs will include Judy Ni of the Baology Taiwanese restaurant; sisters Marti Lieberman and Pamela Lorden of Mac Mart Mac’n Cheesery; “Tamale Queen” Jennifer Zavala; owner of Essen Bakery and a four-year finalist for James Beard Awards Tova du Plessis; and archeologist/sommelier Jill Weber of the Sojourn Restaurant Group with Rex 1516 sous-chef Andrea Rivera.
Currently unemployed or underemployed fitness instructors, chefs, mixologists, stylists, hairdressers, makeup artists, and many others are invited to register to present a workout or workshop through Zoom at Girls Nite In Online (gnionline.com).
Philadelphia Restaurant Week at Girls Nite In Online
- Monday, June 1, 7:30 PM EDT - Jill Weber and sous-chef Andrea Rivera of Rex 1516, will prepare an Heirloom Tomato Tart and suggest wines to pair with it.
- Tuesday, June 2, 4 PM EDT - Tova du Plessis is the proprietor of “a little Jewish bakery,” Essen Bakery in South Philadelphia, famous for such delights as chocolate halva babka, chocolate rugelach, apple cake, and challah.
- Tuesday, June 2, 7:30 PM EDT - Jennifer Zavala is especially interested currently in Cannabis Cuisine; her workshop will feature cooking with cannabis.
- Wednesday, June 3, 7:30 PM EDT - Judy Ni of Baology Taiwanese Restaurant - emphasis freshness of her ingredients along with sustainability.
- Thursday, June 4, 7:30 PM EDT - Marti Lieberman and Pamela Lorden of Mac Mart Mac’n Cheesery, features many variations on the classic American dish. Comfort food has come to have a whole new meaning during the pandemic! Marti and Pamela will be cooking up some of their best-selling, in-store toppings and Mac flavor profiles.
- Friday, June 5, 4 PM EDT - Jill Weber, In a workshop called “Ancient Worlds, Modern Wines,” Jill, as archeologist and sommelier, will explain what is in the dirt, the very earth in which the grapes grow that are used to make wine--what she calls “the history underground.
Workouts, ranging from pilates, yoga, kickboxing, and strengthening and conditioning to barre and belly dancing, are generally presented on Girls Nite In Online in the morning from 7:30 to 8AM, and 10:30 to 11 EDT. Workshops featuring prominent chefs, hairdressers, makeup artists, mixologists, and many other professionals, are presented in the afternoon and evening, including a special Happy Hour presentation every Friday.
Interested presenters are encouraged to visit www.gnionline.com.
Food and Event Writer
My joy is aimed at food and foodie lovers. I enjoy covering trends, issues, and all things Philly
Philadelphia's Historic Women in History - Site of the original city and birthplace of the nation, has, for centuries, been home to some of the strongest, bravest women America has known.The Historic District’s history-making women include both well-known heroines—enslaved African refugee Oney Judge, flag maker Betsy Ross, abolitionist Lucretia Mott.
Chef Cristina Martinez Featured on Netflix's - Chef Cristina Martinez, proprietor of Barbacoa, and “The Queen of Philadelphia Mexican Cusine,” as well as a staunch supporter of undocumented immigrants, employed in the city's food industry. Has recently been featured in this year's Netflix's “Chef's Table Series.”