Philadelphia, PA - In Philly, nearly every pizza shop on any corner of every neighborhood in the city serves up the mouth-watering delicacy. Here are a few notable Center City and South Philadelphia spots, but first a lesson on ordering. Those who want a cheesesteak must answer two critical questions: What kind of cheese do you want? And do you want onions? Those who want Cheez Whiz and onions, ask for a “Whiz Wit.” Those who want provolone without onions, ask for a “Provolone Without.”
Some Suggested Places to find Cheesesteaks in Philly:
- Some might call it cheesesteak sacrilege, but vegans have to eat too. To that end, Blackbird Pizzeria produces a fine seitan “cheesesteak” that can fool the best of them. 507 S. 6th Street, (215) 625-6660, blackbirdpizzeria.com
- Cosmi’s Deli is a relative newcomer among the cheesesteak contenders, winning recent accolades from Philadelphia magazine. 1501 S. 8th Street, (215) 468-6093, www.cosmideli.com
• It may be across the street from the oldest cheesesteak joint in town, but Geno’s Steaks is a formidable competitor going roll for a roll with Pat’s for nearly five decades. 1219 S. 9th Street, (215) 389-0659, genosteaks.com
- Jim’s Steaks has multiple locations, but the classic smell of fried onions wafting down South Street makes that outpost a memorable one. 400 South Street, (215) 928-1911, jimssouthstreet.com
- A small shack amidst shopping plazas, John’s Roast Pork is frequently cited as one of the city’s top steak spots. Is it a secret weapon? A crusty seeded roll. 14 Snyder Avenue, (215) 463-1951, johnsroastpork.com
- The original home of the cheesesteak, Pat’s King of Steaks, is still owned and operated by the Olivieri family. 9th Street & Passyunk Avenue, (215) 468-1546, patskingofsteaks.com
- With rolls from Conshohocken bakery, a plethora of cheese choices and daily-cut sirloin, Spot Burger’s food cart has been repeatedly named a favorite among cheesesteak lovers. Locations vary, (484) 620-6901, twitter.com/spotburgers
- Every sandwich at the award-winning Tony Luke’s is worth ordering, and the deliciousness now spans multiple locations across state lines. tonylukes.com
South Philadelphia Cheesesteak Guide - Here in Philly, cheesesteaks are a civic icon, a tourist draw, and a cultural obsession. Often imitated around the world, the cheesesteak is rarely duplicated successfully outside of Philadelphia. Here are a few of the best South Philly cheesesteak locations.
Center City Philadelphia's Cheesesteak Guide - Here in Philly, cheesesteaks are a civic icon, a tourist draw, and a cultural obsession. Often imitated around the world, the cheesesteak is rarely duplicated successfully outside of Philadelphia. Here are PhillyBite's and Visit Philly's List of top center city cheesesteak locations.
The Philly Taco, South Street Sushi, The Lorenzo's and Jim's Challenge - Are you searching for the ultimate Philadelphia frankenfood, look no further, its The Philly Taco. A combination of a Philly cheesesteak and a slice of pizza. The combo gets its origins on South Street, where foodies of all kinds head over to both Jim's Steaks and Lorenzo's Pizza for their steaks and pizza. Just wrap your Jim's steak in your Lorenzo slice, and you just made The Philly Taco or South Street Sushi. Also, Read. Top Cheesesteak Places in Philly